An estimated 1.9 million adults aged 16 to 59 experienced domestic abuse in the last year. Two women each week and one man each month are killed in England and Wales by a current or former partner. Domestic abuse is a hugely destructive problem and we have a collective responsibility to tackle it. Employers have an important role to play in society’s response to domestic abuse.
Employers owe a duty of care to employees and have a legal responsibility to provide a safe and effective work environment. Preventing and tackling domestic abuse is an integral part of this and this toolkit, sponsored by The Insurance Charities offers guidance and support.
Business in the Community has partnered with Public Health England to produce an online interconnected suite of toolkits to help every organisation support the mental and physical health and wellbeing of its employees.
These materials are freely available and relevant to all employers, irrespective of your size, sector or familiarity with the subject. They are designed to help employers take positive actions to build a culture that champions good mental and physical health and provide a greater understanding of how to help those who need more support. For larger organisations, the toolkits are also useful resources to share with businesses in your supply chain and across your network.
Every organisation has an opportunity to support and develop a healthy workforce and it doesn’t need to be complicated – these toolkits will help you to understand and act, step by step. They address topics often shied away from in the workplace, and can provide the first step for an employer to encourage an open, healthy and supportive workplace.
View all the toolkits in the suite :
- Mental Health for Employers: every organisation has an opportunity to support and develop a mentally healthy workforce and it doesn’t need to be complicated – this toolkit will help you understand and act, step by step.
- Musculoskeletal health in the workplace: a toolkit for employers provides practical advice for employers regarding employee musculoskeletal health and reducing workplace absence (content developed in consultation with ARMA).
- Drugs, Tobacco and Alchohol: supporting your employees wellbeing to reduce sickness, absence, and improve mental wellbeing and productivity.
- Reducing the risk of suicide: a preventative toolkit for employers provides support and advice on how to incorporate suicide prevention into an employer’s workplace health and wellbeing framework (content developed in partnership with Samaritans).
- Crisis management in the event of a suicide: a postvention toolkit for employers offers practical advice for employers to follow in the aftermath of an employee suicide (content developed in partnership with Samaritans).
- Physical Activity, Healthy Eating and Healthier Weight: a toolkit for employers: Working in partnership with employees, employers can take a positive, proactive, preventative approach to support weight management and encourage greater physical activity.
- Sleep and Recovery Toolkit: offering insight and advice on addressing the increasingly damaging sleep-loss epidemic affecting the nation (the toolkit is sponsored by Anglian Water).
- Assess your progress: Use our audit tool to chart your progress